In 2017, Double SNAP Dollars infused over $110,000 at 11 local food access points in Western Montana, increasing overall local food sales to $274,00 at these locations—a 44% increase in just three years! And, a whopping 1,200 SNAP customers were able to buy more fruits and vegetables for their families from local farmers through the Double SNAP Dollars program.
This year, four farmers markets will offer Double SNAP Dollars incentives for the first time, two markets have transitioned their individual SNAP incentive programs to the collective Double SNAP Dollar brand, and one new CSA has joined the crew – which means Double SNAP Dollars is now offered state-wide and available at 17 total locations!
We know that if we support one another, our community thrives. There is evidence in the growth of partnerships across private, public, and government agencies that increased individual and family health can be outcomes of healthy and local food purchases. What we fuel our body with does indeed have an effect on our physical, mental and spiritual health. We invite you to check out all the new locations where Double SNAP Dollars is available, and donate to support Double SNAP Dollar incentives and food access for communities across Montana.
1. Healthy By Design Gardner’s Market, Billings The Healthy By Design Gardner’s Market is designed to bring healthy, fresh, local, and affordable fruits and vegetables to the community. The market is also a social meeting place to celebrate health and nutrition. Healthy By Design is partnering with Billings Parks, Recreation, and Public Lands to bring the market to the South Park. The Gardeners’ Market is located in South Park on the corner of South 28th Street and Sixth Avenue South in Billings, MT. The season runs from the second week of June through the first week in October, Thursdays from 4:30-6:30 p.m. The market now offers a $10 Double SNAP Dollar match.
2. Eureka Farmers Market The Eureka Farmers Market features locally-grown fresh produce as well as Made in Montana handicrafts, and patrons enjoy a park setting with live music. The Eureka Farmers Market is open Wednesdays 3:30 to 6:30 p.m., May 16th through September 19th. They offer a $10 Double SNAP match.
3. Mission Falls Market, St. Ignatius The Mission Falls Market seeks to organize a platform in which direct circular economic opportunities for local farmers and ranchers, artisans, and crafters grow, while also providing a space for community dialogue and civic engagement within St. Ignatius. The market runs every Friday from 5-7 p.m. until October 5th on the corner of Hwy. 93 and Mountain View in St. Ignatius. They offer a $5 Double SNAP Dollar match.
4. Kalispell Farmers Market The Kalispell Farmers Market runs from Saturday, May 7th -October 14th at the Flathead Valley Community College campus. This is their first year being SNAP certified and offering a $10 Double SNAP Dollar match.
5. Troy Farmers Market The Troy Farmers Market takes place on the beautiful grounds of the Troy Museum (700 E. Missoula Ave.) on Hwy 2 in the middle of Troy. After visiting the farmers market, you can take a walk on the nature path, try your hand at frisbee golf or throw rocks into the cold and clear Callahan Creek that flows past the museum. Stop by the market from 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. on Fridays in June, July, August, and September, and help support the effort to Eat Fresh and Eat Local! The market is sponsored by the Yaak Valley Forest Council. The market now offers a $10 Double SNAP Dollar match.
6. River Valley Farmers Market, Hardin The River Valley Farmers Market combines the traditional farmers market with health and wellness promotion in a new way. Their goal is to increase access to local fresh food, promote local businesses, highlight local artisans, promote physical activity, support community engagement, provide health education, and connect families to needed services. Products and vendors include fruit and vegetable vendors, baked goods, prepared healthy foods, arts and crafts, community health service representatives, immunizations, dental information, tobacco cessation services, learning and movement games for children, and parent support activities. They offer a $10 Double SNAP Dollar match.
7. Glacier Tilth CSA Shares, Dixon Glacier Tilth is a certified organic vegetable farm in the beautiful Jocko Valley of Northwest Montana. Their vision is to provide customers with a bounty of high-quality produce, sold direct through our Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) subscription program. They also wholesale to local stores and restaurants as members of the Western Montana Growers Cooperative. This year SNAP customers were offered 50% off their CSA share (up to $200). All shares are currently full.