Next year, we will celebrate 10 years of advocacy and political action on behalf of local food, farming and conservation!
Highlights of our biggest accomplishments
- Protected counties’ rights to protect farmland in the 2011 and 2013 State Legislatures.
- Launched Land Link Montana in 2009 to connect agricultural landowners with beginning farmers. We made our first match in 2013!
- Hosted regional summits in 2012 and 2013, bringing stakeholders together to improve our food economy.
- Commented and testified on nearly 30 subdivisions on agricultural land – conserving over 250 acres in total.
- Released the report Losing Ground, which detailed changes in our ag economy, including the loss of agricultural land in Missoula County.
- Advocated for (and won) an urban chicken ordinance in Missoula.
- Initiated Montana’s first EBT (food stamps) program at three Missoula Farmers’ Markets – average annual sales now reach over $25,000.
- Partnered with Missoula County Public Schools to build the Farm to School Program. Their use of local foods quadrupled in our first four years – now a model for the excellent national FoodCorps program!
We are so grateful for all of the support we receive from our community members. Remember, your membership and participation is what makes our work successful!
Please join us as a part of this great movement to make local farms viable and sustainable in Western Montana! Our goals for the next year are BIG, and we need a dedicated group of members to pull it all off.Thanks from all of us here at CFAC!